October begins nationwide window cord safety effort.
As children grow so does their curiosity with the world
around them. Basic household items, including window
coverings, can turn into potential hazards. As a window
covering dealer I consider child safety a top priority when
working with a client that has children or grandchildren.
Finding products safer for homes with infants and young children is an
important part of the selling process of window coverings. Buyers and
users of blinds should be aware of the hazards that can happen with unrestrained cords, braids,
loop chains and wires, which may be hazardous to young children.
Here are some guidelines that should always be considered
- Young children can be strangled by loops in pull cords, chains, tapes and inner cords that operate the shade. They can also wrap cords around their necks.
- To avoid strangulation and entanglement, keep cords out of reach of young children
- Position cribs, beds, playpens and other furniture on walls without windows and window cords
- Do not tie cords together, make sure cords do not twist and create a loop
- Use the included safety devices according to the installation instructions to reduce possibility of such an accident.
Below are a few options for child safety at the window
Standard cordlock systems can use a cord cleat system. It allows excess cord to be wrapped tightly around it for enhanced safety at the window.
The cord tensioner is designed with spring tension and bracket, it holds looped cords taut to reduce the risk of a child becoming entangled.
The literise system eliminates cords altogether. This cordless system raises and lowers the shade easily with the push of your hand. It helps reduce potential hazards.
The motorized option allows the shade to be operated at the touch of a button. The remote control operation eliminates lift cords for enhanced child safety.
Please check your current window treatments for exposed and dangling cords. Hunter Douglas has a wide variety of fabrics, colors and options when it comes to choosing child friendly window shades. If you need assistance on all the many options please give me a call. There are some fantastic rebates available right now with Hunter Douglas for many of the shades they offer!